Fire Alarm System Installation/Modification Acceptance Protocol
The following is required by IUPUI Fire Protection Services for final acceptance of a building fire alarm system in a university structure:
- Written Certification of Compliance with installation requirements. This can be a letter which certifies that the system meets requirements of the manufacturer(s) and pertinent codes. Required before acceptance
- A Pre-test form indicating that the entire alarm system has been functionally tested, listing what type, number of devices tested, battery calculations, etc. There is no fixed form for this information. It is a record of test data that indicates the entire system(new)has been pre-tested and is ready for final acceptance. We would accept that on a NFPA 72 Inspection, Testing & Maintenance form or something similar. Some contractors have their own form. Required before acceptance
- As Built Plans (Even if they will require alterations). Required at time of acceptance
- As Built Single Line Diagram. This should be attached to plans. Required at time of acceptance
- Record of Completion (NFPA 72 Form). Required at time of acceptance
- Owner's Manual or Service/installation Manuals
- Extra devices as provided in Specifications
PERSONNEL REQUIRED TO ACCEPT SYSTEM
Fire Alarm Installer and/or Electrical Contractor
Sprinkler Installer with installation paperwork (Contractors Material & Test Certificate) unless already provided. Sprinkler personnel required to test switches, etc.
Fire Suppression Equipment installer(when applicable) Test/Installation paperwork
Door or Emergency Equipment installer where applicable.(with applicable paperwork)
Owner's Representative or Building Representative where applicable.
Upon arrival at site, Fire Protection Services will verify that documentation is complete and that necessary personnel are present. Random devices will be selected by FPS and Fire alarm contractor and smoke tested. Labeling and messaging issues will be addressed. Sprinkler devices, fire doors, elevators and other equipment connected to the fire alarm system will be tested. Alarm audible devices will be tested. The fire alarm contractor will give any pertinent instruction pertaining to the alarm system that they feel is necessary.
If the final acceptance testing does not reveal any code or installation issues, FPS will sign the Record of Completion. If there are punch list items, they will be given in written form (electronic) to the University Architect's Office via the Construction Manager and FPS will not sign the Record of Completion at that time.